Monday, October 30, 2017

A middlebrow vacation...

I've been thinking for a while about taking a bit of a break from blogging, and it seems that at the moment the stars are aligned for me to do it. I've been happily blogging away for nearly five years now (which seems utterly incredible!), and although I have taken small breaks, and had times of posting more and times of posting less, I have never really taken a full-scale break, during which I can blissfully read without making notes and pursue other interests (or perhaps even, sometimes, no interests at all!) without the nagging feeling that I'm neglecting the blog.

Plus, after the library's delightful Big Book Sale a few weeks ago (see here if you missed it), reading material is certainly in no short supply! No doubt, though, my urge to share good books with you will bring me back before long…

I may also have to use some of my time to think about whether to plunge into doing something with the wonderful recommendations you all recently came up with regarding American women writers. Do we need a list of American authors to supplement my British list? Hmmmm...

See you soon!

12 comments:

  1. Furrowed Middlebrow has been one of the great joys in my life - I can't thank you enough for opening up a whole new world of wonderful authors I might otherwise never have known about and have now delighted in. Thank you too from all of us at ninevoices - and lastly for writing so perfectly about my favourite author Dorothy Whipple. Let's hope Persephone rally round and publish Random Commentary and The Other Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall miss reading you! But taking a break is often very much the right thing to do. Here's hoping you return with renewed vigour in a few months!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you and the blog for sure! You are part of my daily morning routine. Please refresh, relax, and RETURN, PLEASE! You are admired and liked, and will be missed!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don;t forget us. We will miss you and be on the look-out for the occasional posting from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be gone too long! Have a good rest. I'm going to be a busy blogger with my new reading challenge which is proving quite popular, so I'll probably need a break in, oh, wait, January 2020. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good break! From my own experience, they make all the difference - I predict you'll be keen to come back after a few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'll echo those comments. Hope you'll be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Do we need a list of American authors to supplement my British list?" The answer is YES, of course! Don't be gone too long and please remember to come back!! I recently finished Martin Hare/Zoe Girling's Polonaise and i have two more of her novels on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A break is a Good Thing, but please don't leave us too long! However, at least we will have a chance of catching up with some of our own reading instead of facing ever-longer lists of the delights you have produced.

    Rest and read well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Scott, by all means rest and read. Or don't read? Relax, and we'll still be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great 'sabbatical' and come back soon! I'm hoping there'll be more FB books in the future, having added the Elizabeth Fair books to my comfort-reading list!

    ReplyDelete

NOTE: The comment function on Blogger is notoriously cranky. If you're having problems, try selecting "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" from the "Comment as" drop-down (be sure to "sign" your comment, though, so I know who dropped by). Some people also find it easier using a browser like Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

But it can still be a pain, and if you can't get any of that to work, please email me at furrowed.middlebrow@gmail.com. I do want to hear from you!